Pumpkin Bread
It's that time of year . . . time to make pumpkin bread. My Mom used to make TONS of loaves each year. It was always a tradition. I've made it each year and now Sage joins me and we look forward to Molly joining us next year. :) But this year was extra special as we made our first batch with Amie and Providence while Molly and Rosemary were napping.
Amie said she remembers making this recipe with my Mom also and remembers seeing the many loaves all over the house. :) (I thought about mailing you a loaf dad, but wasn't sure it would get there as a loaf.) My house smells wonderful and of course one small loaf is already gone.
Now a question to my Dad and Aunts (or Uncles - I don't want you to feel left out). Did the pumpkin bread recipe come from Grandma? Amie said they call it Aunt Janet's pumpkin bread, but I know she must have gotten it from somewhere. Any thoughts?

1 comments:
Hi Scooter! Well, I dug through all of my old Word documents that I managed to save from an ancient hard drive after it crashed a few years ago, and buried 3 levels deep in a "Recipes" folder, I found Mom's Pumpkin Bread recipe. The file was saved or created 10 years ago November 8th (Sage's Birthday!!), so here it is:
PUMPKIN BREAD
Sift Together: (3-4 times)
3 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons salt
Mix:
1 cup salad oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
2 cups pumpkin
Mix till smooth. Make well in dry ingredients – add liquid mixture and mix till smooth. GREASE well coffee cans or loaf pans and fill ¾ full. NOTE – be sure they are WELL GREASED.
BAKE one hour at 350 degrees.
COOL 20 minutes. Remove from pans
Yield: 3 small loaves
Excellent – a family tradition at Christmas time since 1970. We always enjoy giving some to family and friends. When Jennifer was a toddler, sifting was her favorite part. I had a sifter that runs on batteries, and she thought that was great fun!
{End of Recipe} I'm not sure where Janet got the recipe from, but I suspect it was passed down from Bettie Greenfield's side of the family. I don't seem to recall growing up on it from my side of the family. My mom used to make cool things like snickerdoodle, rice pudding, homemade root beer, tomato and onion casserole, etc. Obviously, we've had the pumpkin bread recipe since before you were born. I don't know if she may have received it from Great Nana Paul (Chuck Greenfield {Sr.}'s Mom), but that is also a possibility. Perhaps one of the relatives on Aunt Virginia's side (like Aunt Mary Mayer, who I think is the last remaining relative on Janet's Mom's side or her daughter Jeanne) or Uncle Walter Lorenz on the Greenfield side may have some information.
Hope this helps! I love you guys!
Papa
Post a Comment